The next time you look in the mirror, ask yourself this question: “Is my smile supported by strong, healthy gums?” With studies showing that gum disease is now linked to larger health issues like diabetes, heart disease, rheumatoid arthritis and dementia, keeping your gums in excellent condition is critical for your overall well-being.
For healthy gums, make sure these key practices are part of your regular dental routine:
- Always brush along the gum line in short back-and-forth strokes to loosen plaque build-up
- Floss against the shape of each tooth to dislodge food particles swept into the gum line
- Try an oral irrigator instead of toothpicks for a gentler way of removing stubborn foods
- Use an anti-microbial mouthwash after brushing and flossing to minimize oral bacteria
- Schedule twice-yearly dental cleanings to tackle hardened build-up and hard-to-reach areas
If you notice that your gums show signs of swelling, inflammation, or bleeding, they could be at risk for disease and need professional attention by your local dentist. To schedule a consultation and exam with Dr. Peter Merai at Comprehensive Dental Care of Oxon Hill, call (301) 567-9844 or request an appointment online. Dr. Merai offers family & cosmetic dental services for those in Washington DC, Alexandria VA as well as Oxon Hill, Clinton, Temple Hills and Fort Washington, MD.